Friends: From walled world to virtual world



By Aboli Lokhande


I entered the class late. As my home was at a walking distance from school, in recess I used to come home (in fact, four of us, the siblings) to have lunch and managed to go back to school in time. But that day I saw all classmates were in class and teacher had just entered.  As soon as I sought permission to enter the class, all eyes were on me. Some might not have seen me. They might have been busy in settling down for that period.  I was feeling awkward for being late. This is the incident when I was in 10th standard.

Years later… same class, same classmates on the platform of WhatsApp group and I entered late. Forty one students were already in the group. All eyes were on me but some might not have noticed me. They must be busy in their day to day life or must be good in not losing concentration. One of my friends from those days and who used to be one of the toppers in the class, added me in the group and it stunned me with the same feeling. The feeling of entering late in the class was a little awkward. At the same time, I was excited. In a fraction of seconds, I felt like I was still in “school days”.

All friends, who I remember distinctly, started coming in front of my eyes. I automatically started looking for those in the list of classmates. I just felt like I was walking through the sand and I found a gem shining somewhere, I took it and immediately I got another and one more, and to my greatest surprise there was a chest of treasure, which I could see clearly. Just like that, one after another I started recognizing my classmates. Some had changed drastically and I could not recognize some of them quickly. All this made me nostalgic.  Every moment, which I spent in the class as well as in the colony where I spent my childhood rolled swiftly like a film before my eyes.

As days are passing in chatting with old friends, I can sense that the class has not changed in many ways. Many are busy with their class work and studying sincerely, many of them are not participating in the class activities, many of them are silent observers, many are occupied with the work of their choice only, and many are still talking in the class as ever. And talkative students are keeping the WhatsApp class cheerful. 

Innocence was the spirit of the class that used to fire up friendships without any barriers of caste, standard of living, complexion, and type of tiffin we used to share. It seems, it has now got replaced with the syllabus of the worldly matters that requires high alertness for running in life’s race, which we had to join in after passing out from our walled world of school. Laughing without inhibitions on trivial things has become a lost art as age and achievements have become the new permanent measures in life.

I cannot imagine what everyone else feels on joining such a group of school-day friends. But, I can say that classmates who have entered my life again have brought a lot of happiness to me. I can see that the sincere work they did for their future, has rewarded them. They are enjoying the sweet fruits of their hard work. All must have gone through ups and downs in life, which shows up in the matured moves of every friend. 

I may not be able to see all my friends in person, like I used to see them from my bench in the class. But it surely has made me look inward to see where I stand. This newly joined old friends’ group has got a place silently somewhere in my life. To seek is human nature. Everyone seeks something better than what he has in hand. It may be in worldly things, spirituality, emotions and so on. After every major happening in life, everyone automatically invents oneself. This old friends’ group also has a share in timely re-invention of myself. Thanks to the group administrator and all friends for giving a moment of pause to me for a while, while running after life.

The bond of friendship continues – from walled world of school to the virtual world of social media.


21.09.2017

(The author is alumnus of Vidya Mandir Koradi, Dharampeth Arts College, MSS Institute of Social Work, Dr. Panjabrao Deshmukh Institute of Management Technology and Research , Dhantoli, Nagpur. The article was first circulated on WhatsApp on 21.09.2017 )

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chanda boy Dr Vipin Itankar is UPSC topper in State

Hinganghat: Here rests the great surveyor of India...

Eknath Ranade, the man with ‘Rock’ solid determination